Nova in Perseus

Forums Variable Stars Nova in Perseus

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

I see there is a paper published on this already

https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.00994

Note the second author’s name. Unless it is a pseudonym, he/she just had to be an astronomer !

Robin

Gary Poyner
    Participant

Prof. Sumner Starrfield is a computational astrophysicist at Arizona State University, and he’s a world authority on cataclysmic stellar events.

Gary

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Hi Gary,

Indeed. I  had not come across the name before and googled him after I posted. I wonder if his name had any influence on his choice of career ?  I decided at an early age that my traditional family occupation was not for me 😉

Robin

David Swan
    Participant

I am perhaps extending this frivolous sidetrack beyond its natural life … notwithstanding this, the New Scientist for a long time ran letters on nominative determinism in its Feedback section. Weedon and Splatt published lots of urology research.

David Swan
    Participant

V392 Per is noticeably dimmer than the nearby TYC star now. Here’s an image from this eve (13 May) – UV/IR block only. Time in filename is UT. I have measured the mag as 9.8 (CV).

Gary Poyner
    Participant

I had it at 10.0 visual last night – my small 22cm dob (stopped down to 5cm) balancing on a garden table, desperately trying to get over the roofs.

The Nova should be entering it’s transition phase any time soon (about 3-4 mags from maximum), but some fast nova (and some slower ones too) simply pass through it without any visible change to the decline, whilst others show oscillations and the dusty ones fade and re-brighten before fading again.  The rarer activity is to re-brighten before fading to it’s post nova quiescence.  What’s this one going to do?

Gary

David Swan
    Participant

I’ll be looking as often as I can. I had trouble getting access to this patch of sky too!

Denis Buczynski
    Participant

I have been able to get observations on a good few nights since outburst occurred. I can get to the area of sky where it is located but it is in bright twilight for me here at Tarbatness. The 15th mag companion star just to the north of the nova is now showing on my images. Just to blow my own trumpet I got a reference in that Darnley/ Starrfield paper as being one of the first to report photometry. I seem to have good luck with getting onto nova quickly after outburst is announced.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.00994

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.