Pie in the Sky

Forums General Discussion Pie in the Sky

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Alan Thomas
    Participant

Following British Pie Week (4th-10th March), a list of Britain’s ‘Most Famous Regional Pies’ placed Stargazy Pie in fourth place. It seems to be a speciality in Cornwall, though I must confess that I had never heard of it.
    Does anyone know of what Stargazy Pie consists and what connection, if any it has with stargazing?
    Alan

Roy Hughes
    Participant

The main characteristic of Stargazy Pie is the whole Mackerel fish placed in the pie with their heads sticking out of the top “Gazing at the Stars”.
    The BBC has a recipe.
    Roy.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Thanks Roy. That sounds rather unappetising! I think I’ll stick to chicken and mushroom.
    Alan

James Lancashire
    Participant

I think this originates from Mousehole after Tom Bawcock’s heroic solo fishing trip to feed the whole village.

Steve Holmes
    Participant

Anyone who saw this week’s edition of the BBC series ‘Inside the Factory’ will have gained a little more insight into StarGazy Pie. For those who wish to educate themselves via iPlayer, the relevant section of the programme starts at the 17 minute mark. It would seem that, although the story about Tom Bawcock is almost certainly apochryphal, the Pie itself could well date back several centuries. Still doesn’t make it any more appetising though.

SteveH

Alan Thomas
    Participant

It looks as though the association between Stargazy (or StarGazy) Pie and astronomy is rather tenuous (and a little distasteful). Is there an alternative pie (real or imagined) that could convincingly be said to be the astronomer’s favourite late-night snack?

Alex Pratt
    Participant

As a youngster I liked a Mars bar, a Galaxy or a Milky Way…

Alex.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Ah yes . . . but these are not methinks what would commonly be recognised as ‘pies’. I think the pie would include JUICE and possibly MEAT (Massive Earthbound Astronomical Telescope). Hmm…
    Alan

Alex Pratt
    Participant

I never eat anything as substantial as a pie during a night’s observing, perhaps just a hot chocolate drink to warm me up. I’ll go get a slice of humble pie…

Alex.

Roy Hughes
    Participant

At the risk of disappearing completely down the rabbit hole.
    Might I suggest Apple Pie in memory of the apple that inspired Isaac Newton.
    Possibly served with a scoop of ISS-CREAM.
    Maybe not that practical in the dead of night, but could work.
    A more apt choice may be a Moon Cake, which is in fact sort of pie of Chinese origin.
    Though even this might be depreciated by deep sky observers.
    Roy.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Excellent suggestions, Roy. Perhaps a Deep-filled Black Bottom Pie would appeal to the DSO fraternity?
    Alan

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Pi Cephei is was double star of the month according to https://www.webbdeepsky.com/double-stars/object/pi%20Cep

Pi Gruis is, by all accounts a fine double, but too far south at -46 Dec for UK-based telescopes. I may give it a try when I return to La Palma.

Pi Sco is visible from most of the world. The primary is a spectroscopic binary and the secondary is rather difficult (though well separated) at mag 12.2. The primary does show eclispes, but with a depth of only 30mmag it likely presents a worthy challenge to photometrists willing to stretch themselves. The period is 1.57 days. Anyone up to it this summer?

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Of course! All those pis in the sky. Unfortunately some astronomers don’t care for them one iota! (Not me obviously)
    Alan

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Now you mention it, iota Cancri is my favourite double star. Similar to Albireo but rather prettier IMAO.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

I notice that the pie-rating website (yes, there is one), Pierate, lists the Half Moon Cafe in West London (presumably the one on Fulham Palace Road) as serving a selection of three pies: chicken and mushroom, steak and kidney and beef and onion. Unfortunately, the pies are described as “not astronomical”. Nonetheless, possibly an opportunity for some field research by members in the vicinity. The results will obviously be displayed in a pie-chart.
    Alan

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by Alan Thomas.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.