PNV J00425895+4126279

Forums Variable Stars PNV J00425895+4126279

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    George Carey
    Participant

I have been lucky so far and have obtained images each night since the discovery – sadly tonight has 0% chance. I think the nova will be reaching maximum about now (pure guesswork). On Saturday it looked like clouds would prevail so I tried the remote telescopes in Spain but the images were awful – poor focus and tracking. They refunded the units used so I might try again tonight.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

I know the feeling. I’ve been doing astronomical spectroscopy for over 10 years now and the curve has still not tailed off yet !

Note, I suspect the spectrum will not have been corrected for instrument response/extinction so the shape of the spectrum will not represent the actual spectral energy distribution. There may be some spectra of standards around taken on the same night though which could be used to produce a (relative) flux calibrated spectrum to give us an idea  of temperature.

Cheers

Robin

George Carey
    Participant

Using a remote telescope in Spain I got 6×120 seconds of fairly reasonable images.

Magnitude estimate 16.66

George Carey
    Participant

The Liverpool telescope has confirmed that the object is a classical nova and a member of the FeII spectroscopic class.

http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=10754

I am glad they got this done – the nova is fading fast and is almost beyond my detection.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.