Posts go missing after an edit

Forums Website News and Help Posts go missing after an edit

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Duncan Hale-Sutton
    Participant

Hi Andy,

There obviously seems to be a problem with editing a post soon after it has been submitted. I have had another edited post disappear again which I assume has been marked as spam by the software like last time. I kept a copy this time so was able to repost it but perhaps you could investigate, when you have time, why edited posts are treated this way. Thanks.

Duncan.

Andrew Wilson
    Participant

Hi Duncan,
    That is very odd. I am going to try replying and editing with this post using my test account. It has identical setup to ordinary members, without any special access.
    This is an edit where I am adding a new line.
    This is my third edit, so I don’t think it is editing that triggers the spam filter.
    My suspicision is there is something in the post that is causing the spam filter to be over aggressive. I am not sure there is anything that can be easily done, but I will note it in the log for the website developer.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

Hi Duncan,
    One of the website admins has increased the timeout for post edits to 600 minutes (I think it was set to 5 minutes). It would be weird if that was triggering the spam filter, but you never know. Let us know if you find one of your posts disappearing again and we can investigate further.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

Steve Holmes
    Participant

I had exactly the same problem as Duncan at the end of November, not once but twice. Both times, the edit was very soon after the initial submission. The first time, I realised I had attached the wrong file so hit “Edit” to see if I could change it but that simply caused the initial post to disappear. Having re-typed the reply and submitted it I then wanted to add some text so tried another edit but got the same result – a vanished post. Luckily, having been alerted to the problem the first time round, I had taken a copy of the text this time so could start again.

Steve

*** Tried an edit again. Seemed OK this time!

*** What “spam filter”, by the way?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Steve Holmes. Reason: Testing the facility
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Steve Holmes. Reason: Adding text
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Steve Holmes. Reason: What Spam filter?
    Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

The forum has a spam filter. I don’t think this is an especially useful feature for our website as only paid up BAA member accounts can post to the forum, and paying for an account is likely to deter spammers. However, it is always possible for an account to be hacked and then the spam filter could be useful.
    If the timeout was weirdly connected to the anti-spam trigger, then the change to the timeout may have resolved the problem. Another possibility is the edits contained text, a link or file not in the original post that triggered the anti-spam block on the post.
    If you see this again then report it and the website team can investigate.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Andy Wilson.
    Duncan Hale-Sutton
    Participant

Thanks for looking into this Andy. I will let you know via this thread if I see a problem again.

Cheers, Duncan.

Steve Holmes
    Participant

Bad news! This is getting silly. Having spent quite a time typing a reply in the Partial Eclipse thread I tried to submit but it was refused as by this time the system had apparently logged me out. I thus logged in again and the Submit seemed to work but when I tried to do an edit my reply simply disappeared, as before, but the summary claimed the last reply was from me – true, but my reply was not listed. I thus tried yet again using the same text (saved as a precaution!) but then persistently got the error message “Deprecated: Function get_option was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 5.5.0! The “blacklist_keys” option key has been renamed to “disallowed_keys”. in /home/baaweb/baa_website_2021/britastro/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5665″. At which point I gave up. What on earth is going on?

Steve

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,
    I found two copies of your post in the spam folder. I released the second and deleted the first copy.
    I am about to go on a short holiday so I will raise it with one or two people who know more about the forum on my return.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

Steve Holmes
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. As the problem seems to be connected with the infamous spam folder, could you let me know where this is to be found please, and if a “release” can be actioned by a contributor rather than an administrator? That might at least enable the situation to be rescued even if the cause may not be clear.

Steve

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,
    You won’t be able to “release” them from spam. The spam filter is supposed to prevent spammers from posting spam, hence it will not allow the person posting to release their own messages. The spam filter is clearly being overly aggressive. This may improve with time as it learns, though it has been flagged as an issue with those who manage the website.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

The developer has installed some updates, including an update to the spam filter. I don’t know if this will resolve the non-spam posts being flagged as spam, but there is a chance.
    I noticed Alex Pratt had this problem in his reply on the composite images thread.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

Alex Pratt
    Participant

Hi Andy, all,

Yes, I also typed in a couple of paragraphs on another thread, then made the fatal mistake of clicking on Edit to correct some typos – and whoosh, my posting had gone – although the thread header had added my invisible contribution to the count of the voices / replies.

As others have advised, take copies as you write to the BAA Forum in case your text vanishes when using this award-winning website – or hope for a time machine to take us back to the old website…

Clear skies,

Alex.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.