PR Her

Forums Variable Stars PR Her

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gary Poyner
    Participant

There has been a report of a very rare outburst of the UGWZ star PR Her on May 7 at 13.6 visual. The previous bright outburst occured in November 2011, although there have been sporadic sightings since then, but all below mag 15. If anyone can help confirm this outburst, the VSS would be very grateful.

It’s position is…

RA 18 08 04.44 Dec +38 46 17.3

A chart and sequence is available from the AAVSO VSP (https://app.aavso.org/vsp/)

A 157 star lies very close South West to PR Her, so some care should be taken.

Thanks,
    Gary

Grant Privett
    Participant

Gary,

I’m on target now and not seeing it – unless its very, very close to the 15.7 star and the two appear merged.

Could it have faded already?

Grant

EDIT: Image attached. Pixel=1.54″ so field ~25arc min wide.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Grant Privett.
    Maxim Usatov
    Participant

Hi Gary,

I do not see it at 13.6. Here is a 120 s V-band exposure of the field. It is supposed to be right next to the marked 15.86 star.

Grant Privett
    Participant

On 25minutes worth of frames I am seeing something very dim and (on my frame) at the 7 o’clock position from the 15.7 mag star, but that seems slightly out of position compared to the AAVSO chart. Is that it?

David Swan
    Participant

Likewise – negative for a PR Her outburst (8 May, 21:48 UT)

Attachments:
    Nick James
    Participant

Yes, nothing there that I can see.

Gary Poyner
    Participant

Looks like a false alarm – which is very disappointing. Thank you all for taking the time to check. Really appreciated.

Gary

Paul G. Abel
    Participant

Just had a look at the area- I identified the stellar field quite quickly from the AAVSO chart. I couldn’t see the nova with my 12” Newtonian, although skies here are a little hazy now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.