The death of Rob Moseley

Forums General Discussion The death of Rob Moseley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Denis Buczynski
    Participant

It is with great sadness that I have to report the death of my great friend and past BAA member Rob Moseley of Coventry on February 11.Rob was a lunar and planetary observer and contributed many observations to the BAA Lunar and Planetary Sections in the 1980’s and 90’s. He was primarily a visual observer with perceptive skills and the abilty of portray on paper the detail he could see in the eyepiece of a telescope. Later in life he concentrated on visually observing and measuring close double stars.He spoke at many meetings of the BAA and around the country. He was a past editor of The Lunar Section publication “The New Moon”.Many of his detailed lunar drawings can be seen in past copies of that publication.He was student of the history of astronomy and also possessed an encyclopedic knowledge of Ancient Roman History.He will be sorely missed by all that knew him.Many will be shocked to hear of his passing after a period of illlness. Attached are two pictures, one of Rob with a BAA loan telescope and a set of two Mars drawings made at a favourable Mars apparition. Denis Buczynski

Bill Leatherbarrow
    Participant

Denis,

so sorry to hear of this. I never met Rob, but am of course aware of his great contribution to the Lunar Section, often in difficult circumstances. I hope that a case for a Journal obituary can be made despite his not being a BAA member at the time of his death.

Bill

Nick James
    Participant

This is such a shock. I met Rob quite a few times in the 90’s. He was a great observer and did a lot for the Lunar Section at that time. Rob observed quite a few comets too and we have some examples of his notebooks in the Comet Section archives:

https://britastro.org/cometobs/1969y1/1969y1_19700331_0345_rmoseley.html
    https://britastro.org/cometobs/1987p1/1987p1_19871028_rmoseley.html
    https://britastro.org/cometobs/1988a1/1988a1_19880510_rmoseley.html

Denis Buczynski
    Participant

Richard McKim has also suggested that we publish an obituary in the JBAA. I have spoken with Rob’s wife today and she is hopeful that an obituary of Rob will appear in a future JBAA. I am willing to write this.

Denis

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

A sad loss, I too agree an obituary should appear in the JBAA

Denis,

So sad to hear about Rob’s passing. He was the chairman of the Coventry & Warwickshire Society when I first joined in 1985, and was very welcoming and friendly. I remember him lecturing to C&WAS about his observing from Conder Brow. He seemed to drift away from C&WAS and from astronomy in general over the years, although he would from time-to-time turn up for a meeting. I’m sure we’ll commemorate him in the Coventry society at our next meeting.

Mike Frost

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.