Variable Star Section Meeting, Sept 2

Forums Variable Stars Variable Star Section Meeting, Sept 2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Shears
    Participant

The VSS meeting on Saturday September 2, at Northampton, is fast approaching. The meeting is kindly hosted by the Northamptonshire Natural History Society.

We have an excellent line-up of speakers and the full programme can be viewed here: https://britastro.org/event/variable-star-section-meeting-2

Doors open at 09.30, the programme starts at 10.30 and we finish at 17.30

There is no need to book and entrance is free.

I do hope to see many of you there for what promises to be an enjoyable and interesting day.

Jeremy

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

I’d love to attend but I have to stay in La Palma until at least mid-September.

Will the meeting be recorded for later viewing? Recording is generally much easier than live streaming over Zoom or whatever.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Not planning to, Paul.

Bill Barton
    Participant

Annoyingly September 2 has been announced as a strike day on the railways.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66479059

Gary Poyner
    Participant

Indeed it is. Our speakers were made of aware of this several days ago, and fortunately we haven’t yet had any drop out – including Mark Kidger, whose travelling from Madrid to speak at the meeting.

Gary

Bill Barton
    Participant

An extra day of rail strikes has just been announced for Friday, September 1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61634959

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

Thanks for the heads up Bill.

My plan is to travel up the day before. Fingers crossed there will be still be some trains running on Friday.

Andy

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Just a reminder that there is only one week to go until the BAA VSS meeting at Northampton: Saturday September 2.

We have a full line-up of interesting talks for the day. The full programme can be viewed here: https://britastro.org/event/variable-star-section-meeting-2

All the speakers have confirmed they can attend, in spite of the rail strikes, plus we have an additional short talk.

I look forward to welcoming many of you at the meeting next Saturday.

Jeremy Shears
    Director, VSS

Alex Pratt
    Participant
    Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

I am travelling to the meeting by coach. National Express have a drop off point in the town centre.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

Dawson
    Participant

A great day of talks and catching up with people, and a great venue too. Well done to the organisers and speakers!

Paul G. Abel
    Participant

Looks like the meeting went very well; I was planning on attending but alas the rail strikes on Friday and Saturday made it almost impossible!

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Yesterday’s meeting featured a superb line up of speakers. I’d like to thank them all for highly informative presentations. It was wonderful to be back at the Northamptonshire Natural History Society, thanks to Nick Hewitt (and his team that put on a delicious spread at lunch and kept us well supplied with tea and coffee throughout the day). The number of attendees exceeded our expectations and it was great to see old and new faces.
    Here’s a pic (by James Dawson) of the speakers and organisers

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

This looks really nice and like you guys had a great time. I wish I could join.

Max

Duncan Hale-Sutton
    Participant

I was very sorry to miss this meeting but I had a prior engagement that would have been difficult to break. I hope to join you all another time!

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

I am pleased to report that we were able to record most of the presentations. We did not announce this in advance as we were trying something new and we were not sure it would work. There are problems with at least a couple of the recordings but it appears to have worked for the majority.
    I will be uploading them to the BAA YouTube channel, but due to other commitments I won’t be able to complete the editing and make them live until the last week in September.
    Andy

Duncan Hale-Sutton
    Participant

That’s great Andy. I look forward to seeing what you have when you have time.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

Super to hear that the meeting recordings were successful, Andy. Thanks for all your efforts to achieve this including spending 16.5 hours on buses for the VSS! I am sure people will enjoy watching the talks online when they become available later in the month.

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Excellent news!

I would have attended but I am stuck in La Palma for a rather important reason.

Eric Watkins
    Participant

Andy,

that’s good news. There are a couple of presentations I’m particularly interested in.

Eric

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.