VV Cephei news

Forums Spectroscopy VV Cephei news

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Steve,

I will follow your instructions.

Thanks for your response.

Jack

Essex UK 

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Marc,

I can send data to Robin for analysis who can post comparative results on this forum for the benefit of all. 

Jack

Essex UK

MARC TRYPSTEEN
    Participant

Excellent, Jack, good idea.

Perhaps you can also upload spectra to the Spectroscopy Database…….

Kind regards,

Marc.

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

Hi Jack,

You can measure the resolution using BASS, as per section 9a of the BASS tutorial I wrote (I think you have already done this):

You can also create a .png, .jpg or .bmp of your spectrum graph at any time by selecting:

Chart -> Save Chart to file

These will be small compared to the original fits file.

Best wishes,

Andy

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Hi Jack,

Spectrum profiles (in fits or dat format) are also small enough to be uploaded as attachments here if you need advice and are not ready to submit them to the database. For example here is my latest for VVCep at the blue end. It is a work in progress as I am not 100% happy yet with the instrument response/atmospheric extinction correction so I have not yet committed it to the database. (Note I had to change the extension from .fit to .fits as the forum does not accept .fit )

Robin

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Marc,

I am awaiting Robins response on this one.

Also, just a minor point to resolve before I can upload spectra to the database.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Andy,

In our last communication I measured the resolution and inserted it the fits file.

I have posted a png file of my latest ‘quick’ spectrum of the h alpha profile of vv cep.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK   

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Andy,

You mean like this, the latest ‘quick’ spectrum of vv cep taken around 22.00 hr 2017-08-10 revealing no changes in the h alpha profile yet.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Robin,

I can’t open your attachment.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK 

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Hi Jack,

It is a fits spectrum profile to BeSS standard as used in the BAA database for example (Are you trying to open it as an image?)  It will open in VSpec, ISIS, BASS etc. (change the extension from .fits back  to .fit if you are having difficulties)

Cheers

Robin 

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Jack said

I am awaiting Robins response on this one.”

Hi Jack,

Not sure what this relates to. What do you want to know ?

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Hi Jack,

You have a lot of cosmetic defects (the narrow spikes caused by hot pixels.) This is quite surprising with such a  bright target. Are your dark and hot pixel map corrections working OK?

Robin

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Robin,

The response I am waiting for is if you are able to do a comparison between the spectra obtained by Marc and my spectra, as taken with Marcs C11 and my C14.

Please refer to Marcs previous post for info.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Robin,

This was just a 300 s raw exposure uncalibrated, no dark or flat frames just to check if the h alpha line has changed.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Robin,

I will open your fits file in my other computer which has the appropriate program.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Hello Jack,

The fits spectrum profile I attached was just to show you how it can be done on the forum. The content is not important. It just happened to be a recent spectrum that I was working on.

Robin 

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Hello Jack,

I  had not planned to do that. I just described how it could be done if you wanted to. I suggest you and Marc get together directly to make the comparison.

Cheers

Robin

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

No changes in H Alpha emission profile as of 2017-08-13, I am continuing to monitor.

Jack

Essex UK

Paul Luckas
    Participant

Although I can’t see VV Cep from my latitude, I’ve been following this project with great interest (having seen Ernst’s excellent presentation at the OHP in 2015 – my first exposure to this remarkable star). I think this is another example of great community involvement and coordination of observations (both here and on the ARAS channel) the value of which cannot be underestimated.

Keep up the great work Ernst, Jack and all.

Paul

Mr Jack Martin
    Participant

Paul,

Thank you for your encouragement, its good to know others are following the forums.

Onwards and upwards.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.