Apparition of C/2022 E3

Home Forums Comets Apparition of C/2022 E3

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    David Swan
    Participant

Just a plug to observe this comet, as it is now very conveniently placed in the sky for those in the northern hemisphere. Changes night to night.

Attachments:
    Nick James
    Participant

It certainly is. I measured it at mag 5.6 this morning with lots of detail visible in images.

David Swan
    Participant

Sleeker ion tail when imaged last night. The comet’s hood lends it the appearance of a speeding bullet.

Nick James
    Participant

Gideon van Buitenen has produced a really nice simulation of the comet’s appearance which you can find here:

http://astro.vanbuitenen.nl/resources/C2022E3_simulation.gif

It shows the PA of the ion tail swinging around very rapidly over the next few days.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by Nick James.
    James Lancashire
    Participant

Not much luck with clouds on the Kent coast but I can’t remember the last time when a *bright* comet was circumpolar (from UK). Must be unusual timing and orbital geometry. Hoping for a favourable break in weather over next few days before full moon!

Lars Lindhard
    Participant

I was lucky last night

Canon 77D with 250 mm . Exp. 10.sec. ISO 3200.

Attachments:

Used Slooh Canary 2 on the night of 27 Jan at 0052 to take this image. Subsequent processing with Affinity PLus.

This Comet is just visible in 10×50 binos here in eastern Scotland.

David Swan
    Participant

Captured this eve (midpoint) 2023-01-28T19:12. Lovely ion tail.

Attachments:
    David Swan
    Participant

Development of ion tail into at least three streamers.
    MIDPOINT = ‘2023-01-29T20:59:22’ /UT of midpoint of exposure

Nick James
    Participant

David. Yes the ion tail is very active again. Your images are excellent. Your fast RASA is ideal for this.

Paul G. Abel
    Participant

Finally had some clear skies tonight and I just made this observation. Using HR3082 as a comparison star, I estimate a Mv~ 5.5

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

You guys up in the frozen north have it lucky.

I find it very frustrating that Polaris is only 28 degrees above the horizon from here. Even worse, my fork mount won’t allow pointing at anything above a Declination of 75N or the camera hits the mount. Guess where C/2022 E3 is tonight …

With luck it will be far south enough to give me a chance in a few days but, of course, the moon will then be very near full.

Life, don’t talk to me about life.

Paul

P.S. now the ****ing filter wheel has just packed up and I must go back to the dome to see what needs to be kicked into submission. Almost always a Windoze/USB failure.

Nick James
    Participant

Paul – That is why I have never liked fork mounts although the price I pay is meridian flips. The comet was really nice tonight despite the bright moonlight. I get it to be 5th mag now. Here is a picture of my telescope effortlessly pointing near to the pole taken while it was taking the picture in the inset. I don’t get many chances to take a picture like this!

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Yes, we win some and we lose some. I don’t actually lose very much useful sky as Dec +75 reaches a maximum altitude of 43 degrees and a minimum of 13 degrees from here and I don’t much like doing photometry below 30 degrees altitude unless it is really necessary. I have always really loathed meridian flips.

HL CMa was nice and high in the sky here (just to make you jealous 🙂 — there are advantages to having a low celestial pole — until cloud stopped play. 1 made it V=12.33 tonight.

Denis Buczynski
    Participant

In my experience I would have fork mount any day over a GEM. The problem with cameras and ancillary equipment fouling the mount in the fork design is not a problem for Newtonian or Nasmyth designs or indeed prime focus SC’s like the Celestron RASA . Meridian flips in a GEM are amongst the most common irritations I have with my SC on a GEM. Image attached of my last large Newtonian, oh how I miss it!

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.