Asteroidal whine

Forums Asteroids Asteroidal whine

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

I feel a need to whine about the weather.

On the night of 2022-04-08/9 I imaged the area containing (316179) 2010 EN65 which is a Neptune Trojan. At V=21.7 it was predicted to take a two to three hour exposure for a measurable position and brightness. The sky clouded over after 40 minutes to yield a limiting magnitude of 20.7, in line with prediction.

To add insult to injury I subsequently found that 2005 XF133, so far un-numbered, was in the same field and even brighter. Unfortunately, it is only V=21.3 so also undetected. This one is wanted by the MPC at this opposition to aid in numbering the asteroid.

Needless to say, there have been no clear nights since and the moon is getting ever more objectionable.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

I sympathise, Paul. A non-astronomer friend of mine recently expressed surprise, and not a little dismay,that I intended to go out in the middle of the night and stand in sub-zero temperatures for a few hours observing the night sky.
    I explained to him that to be an astronomer in Britain you have to be a masochist!

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Thanks Alan.

At least in here in La Palma the temperature never falls below 5C, and that figure only exceptionally. I have experienced 7C on this visit, but that is unusual too and the lowest I have ever encountered. “Here” is Tacande at an altitude of 760m. Up on El Roque it falls well below zero every winter.

I am also fortunate here in having a warm and lit control room, well-equipped with a kettle.

Having spent many hours below freezing outside in the UK, with only a cat on occasion to keep my hands warm (another long story), I know well what you mean.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

Paul
    Ah, now I understand your predicament. To have escaped British skies for a more promising location and then find them wanting, fully justifies a whine! Maybe just have to console yourself with a nice glass of of the other-
    wine.
    Alan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.