Deep Sky Section Handbooks (historical)

Forums Deep Sky Deep Sky Section Handbooks (historical)

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dawson
    Participant

I’ve found two editions of the DSS Handbook, number 1, and number 2 (Messier Catalogue). Does anyone know if there were other editions?

James Dawson

Librarian, Society for the History of Astronomy

Attachments:
    Stewart Moore
    Participant

Hello James,  There was Handbook No.3 which was produced by Nick Hewitt in 1997.  This was basically an update of Handbook No.1 but with an increased number of targets.  I think the office still has copies for sale.  When I was Director I updated the Messier guide (Handbook No. 2).  This went through a few versions.  The one you show, which I no longer seem to have a copy of, is (I think) the one compiled by Owen Brazell and updated by Nick H in 1995.  I then issued a 3rd edition of it in July 2005 which was essentially the same but with some updates to the text and corrections.  In 2014 I issued a 4th edition which is basically the same as the 3rd edition but with different images on the front cover.  I think the office still has copies for sale.  As far as I’m aware there were no other deep sky handbooks produced

Dawson
    Participant

Stewart, thank you, that is interesting and helpful. I’ve got a spare copy of number 1 which you can have for free if you want, I can bring it to Winchester.

James

If any member would like a draft copy of my catalogue of every BAA publication ever produced since 1890 I shall be happy to reply to any private email. When eventually finished it will be posted online.

Let me just write that there are a great many published ephemera without any sign of a year indicated, and I hope authors will always date their publications in future for the record.

Richard McKim
    Archivist

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.