new visual comet discovery by Don Machholz

Forums Comets new visual comet discovery by Don Machholz

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Peter Carson
    Participant

This morning (2018 Nov 13th) the C/2018V1 is showing a nice long thin tail. My image is showing a tail over 23 arc minutes long extending out the field of view of my camera.

Nick James
    Participant

Yes there is. You can see it better in the stack attached. This is stacked on stars so the comet is trailed and the background is not yet sorted but it shows the ion tail going out of the field.

David Strange
    Participant

Also caught C/2018 V1 this morning with C8 Hyperstar and ASI183MM 20x20sec exp. Tail shows up on this reversed image.

David

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

Beautiful!

Nick James
    Participant

Recent magnitude estimates indicate that this comet is not brightening very quickly and latest estimates put it around mag 9. It will get increasingly difficult to observe as its elongation decreases but please try to get more images and estimates as it heads in to perihelion. There is a good set of images in the Comet Section archive.

David Swan
    Participant

Peter Carson has managed to capture a much better image (see his member’s page). Nonetheless, under poor conditions (wind ESE – straight from sea towards scope (!), and lots of condensation on the corrector in misty air) I acquired five reasonably steady frames. Comphot estimate: mag 10.4 in photometric aperture of diameter 130arcsec – but take this with a pinch of salt.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.