Streaming Mars for National Astronomy Week

Forums General Discussion Streaming Mars for National Astronomy Week

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Arditti
    Participant

I’m helping the RAS and NAW committee organise live streaming of Mars as seen through telescopes during National Astronomy Week, which will be 14-22 November. We are looking for individuals, observatories or local societies who could take part in this by operating one of the streaming stations on some evenings of that week. We’d like a spread of stations around the country, or even some abroad. Further explanation and guidance will be given, but the equipment needed will be a driven telescope, suitable camera and computer, and good internet connection at the observing site. Please contact me if you would be able to help.

David Arditti

Director, Equipment & Techniques Section

Dawson
    Participant

David, we can probably help out. We’d need to test the data transfer rate from our observatory over 4G else could set up a 14” or 11” SCT from someone‘s garden. 
    James

David Arditti
    Participant

Thanks for the offer James. I’ll get back to you when we have more details.

David Strange
    Participant

David, we can offer to live stream from the Lockyer telescope (6.25″) – the one that Lockyer used to discover Helium on the Sun. We have a good broadband connection at NLO.

David

David Arditti
    Participant

Thanks David, that is very helpful. Is your email still the Freeserve one? I’ll get in touch with further details.

David Strange
    Participant

Hi David,

No freeserve is now defunct. I’ve pm’d you my contact details.

David

This is a good initiative, and I hope it will succeed. There are already (as of today) 64 people who are contributing images and drawings for the current opposition to the Mars Section, and several other BAA members have posted images on their personal pages without contributing them to the Section (I hope they will!), so there must be plenty of people around the world who could make this into a very successful event. I have been writing a regular illustrated blog at the Section website since January…….and I hope to keep it going until the end of the apparition. The 2018 blog is still at the website for anyone who is interested.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.