Wil Tirion, 1943–2024

Forums General Discussion Wil Tirion, 1943–2024

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James Lancashire
    Participant
    Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

I was very sorry to hear of the passing of Wil Tirion. I still own his wonderful Sky Atlas 2000.0 and Uranometria 2000.0. These were both beautifully presented and very practical. I would look over fields in the day, then take them out to the telescope at night.
    Even today with modern planetarium software, I regularly use his Cambridge Star Atlas.
    A great loss.
    Andy

Alex Pratt
    Participant

This is very sad news. Almost every observer possesses a star atlas, chart or book illustration drawn by Wil Tirion. He was a great collaborator with Storm Dunlop on their night sky guides. As I write this note, my copy of Star Atlas 2000.0 is nearby, along with numerous other examples of his fine work. They enhanced our enjoyment of the night sky and continue to do so.

Alex.

Gary Poyner
    Participant

Very sad news indeed.

He gave a wonderful talk at the Winchester weekend many years ago (Alfred Curtis lecture) when it was held at King Alfreds college. As a modest collector of star atlases, I was enthralled.

Gary

Gary Poyner
    Participant

Martin Mobberley inform me that Wil Tirion attened Winchester in 1989. I knew he’d know!

Gary

Alex Pratt
    Participant

my copy of Star Atlas 2000.0

Apologies, I meant to write Sky Atlas 2000.0, but I can’t see an Edit option after posting, only Reply or Quote.

Alex.

Andy Wilson
    Keymaster

Gary reported the same problem with the missing edit button. I have reported it to the website developer.
    There was a change made on Monday to allow quicker edits, so I wonder if that caused an unexpected problem.
    Andy

John Thorpe
    Participant

Very sorry to hear. I recall my excitement at seeing Wil at a BAA meeting in the 80s. He had recently published his Sky Atlas 2000.0 and was signing copies for members. This remains my favourite, along with his more recent Cambridge Atlas. Great reference works and a joy to peruse.

Very sad news.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by Andy Wilson.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.