Sky and Telescope magazine

Forums General Discussion Sky and Telescope magazine

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris Bramhall
    Participant

Apologies if this isn’t the best place to ask but I can’t see anywhere more appropriate. Essentially, I’m wondering if anyone else is having difficulties with receiving the magazine on subscription, direct from the US.

I’ve been a subscriber to S&T for almost as long as I’ve been a member of the BAA (last time p/Halley was passing through, which makes me feel ancient) but ever since the pandemic, delivery of the magazine has been inconsistent to say the least. On many occasions during Covid I had to ask for it to be resent. Then, for a while, the situation improved and started to be delivered again, but the past couple of issues have not appeared even after I phoned and spoke to an actual person who promised a replacement would be sent out.

I realise I could go digital, but it’s a bit hard to lug a PC with a 27 inch monitor out to a dark sky site to read on location.

Chris

Maxim Usatov
    Participant

This happened to me when I was living in Prague – always missing issues.

Max

John Thorpe
    Participant

I cannot speak for S&T, but my experience is that the worldwide postal services have never really recovered from the COVID disruptions. Until a year ago, when I was living in Australia, the BAA Journal took at least 2 months, and Christmas cards were still arriving in April.

David Strange
    Participant

I realise I could go digital, but it’s a bit hard to lug a PC with a 27 inch monitor out to a dark sky site to read on location.

Chris[/quote]

You can always download a digital copy onto your phone or tablet for in field use.

David

Nick Quinn
    Participant

Apart from a bit of trouble renewing my subscription a couple of years ago when the owners changed, I have received the magazine quite regularly every month.

The bottom of my address label shows ‘UNITED KINGDOM 385-01 (*1 of 5)’ which remains the same month-to-month and may indicate that it is part of a batch of 5 copies sent to the UK and packaged by The Mail Group in Sunbury-on-Thames. How does that compare to your label, Chris?

Nick

Chris Bramhall
    Participant

I cannot speak for S&T, but my experience is that the worldwide postal services have never really recovered from the COVID disruptions. Until a year ago, when I was living in Australia, the BAA Journal took at least 2 months, and Christmas cards were still arriving in April.

That sounds about par for the course in the southern hemisphere. When a friend of mine moved back to South Africa, Christmas and birthday cards always arrived long after the relevant date. It would have been quicker to tie them to a passing swallow.

Chris Bramhall
    Participant

The bottom of my address label shows ‘UNITED KINGDOM 385-01 (*1 of 5)’ which remains the same month-to-month and may indicate that it is part of a batch of 5 copies sent to the UK and packaged by The Mail Group in Sunbury-on-Thames. How does that compare to your label, Chris?

Nick

The numbers at the bottom of mine read “United Kingdom 328-44 (*1 of 1)”. Looking at a couple of the envelopes I have here, it does remain consistent. There is also a reference to The Mail Group, Transglobal, Unit D1 – Windmill Road TW16 7HE near the top of the label, but it doesn’t mention Sunbury-on-Thames.

Nick Quinn
    Participant

Ok, our copies must be handled slightly differently then! Same The Mail Group address and post code but mine includes Sunbury-on-Thames. My general Royal Mail deliveries are now only 2 or 3 times a week but AFAIK I still seem to get pretty much everything.

Good luck!

Martyn Kinder
    Participant

I get the digital edition which is a pdf. No problems with that, just received the October (!) 2023 copy late last week.

Chris Bramhall
    Participant

I get the digital edition which is a pdf. No problems with that, just received the October (!) 2023 copy late last week.

No sign of the replacement August copy yet, but I have just received the hard copy of the October issue in today’s post. Of course, that now begs the question of what has happened to the /September/ issue. *sigh* here we go again! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.