The comet is coming!!!!!!

Forums Comets The comet is coming!!!!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Lars Lindhard
    Participant
    David Swan
    Participant

Hmm. 

Grant Privett
    Participant

We’re all doomed! 🙂

David Swan
    Participant

We should do a correction. Simply everything is wrong. The picture doesn’t look like an artist’s impression to me, it looks like an image of another comet; the comet is very very dim (one 2019 obs on COBS ~ mag 17, and perhaps unreliable); the time of best visibility is not 21:15 BST (02:45 BST, 36deg alt due east in astro darkness for me). Where is this information from??????

Martin Mobberley
    Participant

I’ve just sent this link to the discoverer, Carl Hergenrother, who occasionally e-mails me…….

I hope he doesn’t die laughing!

Martin

Nick James
    Participant

That is a spectacular example of crap “journalism”, even for the Daily Mirror. “your best chance of seeing the comet, look just above the eastern horizon at around 21:15 BST”. Hmmm.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

Come on, give the author a break. When you have got 2281 articles to write and you have a serious twitter account to maintain you’re bound to get a few things wrong  

https://muckrack.com/shivali-best

🙂

David Swan
    Participant

Good god, Robin. I shouldn’t have gone down that rabbit hole of a URL.

Robin Leadbeater
    Participant

The thing is though the content is irrelevant. It is all about clicks and we are playing their game.

Lars Lindhard
    Participant

No need to worry.

It will be cloudy anyway…

Grant Privett
    Participant

Clearly the definition has changed in recent years….

Bill Ward
    Participant

Exactly!, whilst I tried to resist I couldn’t help it given the subject…

Without being overly crude, in youthspeak… I LMFAO    ; – ))

Dominic Ford
    Keymaster

Arrrgh! I fear I’m at least partly responsible for this. Some of the article looks like a mangled version of what’s on my website. My website says that the comet rises at 21:15 BST. I assume the summer student who wrote this article cut and pasted the rising time as the best time to see the comet.

A couple of weeks ago I changed the algorithm used by my website to decide when to list comet apparitions as news events. This resulted in some very bad predictions, which I commented on in a previous forum post. Martin and Nick convinced me I needed to fix this, but I haven’t had time to get it changed yet.

I really need to get on with it… sigh…

David Swan
    Participant

Don’t be too hard on yourself, Dominic. I did in fact do a bit of web searching to see where the Mirror journalist may have got this information. And I had a look at in the sky.org . Your site had nothing about 21:15 being the best time to spot the comet, nor did your site say it was super bright (it wasn’t even in the top three brightest comets) / even in the naked eye range.

Peter Meadows
    Participant

I thought I recognised the comet photo in the Mirror article – it is Comet West 1975 VI from 1976 – see the following link

https://enacademic.com/pictures/enwiki/67/C_1975_V1_%28West%29_1976-03-09_6h_UTC.jpg

I was new to astronomy back then but heard about this comet but failed to see it in the pre-dawn sky – I then joined ‘The Astronomer’ to make sure I didn’t miss any other bright comets!

Nick James
    Participant

Well, I’m very disappointed. Following the story in the Daily Mirror I had a go at imaging this “huge” comet this morning. Nothing was visible to around 20th magnitude. Heavens Above even has finder charts (going to mag 5). A quick Google for Comet 168P brings up a cornucopia of misleading rubbish. What has the Internet done to our common sense?

David Swan
    Participant

I certainly agree with you on the effect of the internet. On a brighter note – I was pleasantly surprised last night by being able to pick up tails on 260P and C/2018 N2. I imagine light-buckets are required though for visual observers.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.