Ron Arbour

Forums General Discussion Ron Arbour

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Alan Dowdell
    Participant

I have been informed by Pat Arbour that Ron sadly died this morning. He had been unwell for a few months which had stopped his observing. Ron Arbour who had discovered 49 supernova, was in the past a council member,the founder of the Deep Sky section and telescope maker. He was a great friend to many.I knew him for 50 years and he will be greatly missed both by myself and Pauline and his many friends
    Condolences to Pat at this difficult time.

Eric Watkins
    Participant

This is sad news. I had been corresponding with Ron for the past couple of years with regard to my setting up an automated supernova patrol system for which he had freely and generously given advice and assistance in setting one up. I’m just about there and was trying to sort out some reliable software for the actual detection process.

We should search the night sky for with his passing there must be a new supernova somewhere waiting for detection.

Eric

Daryl Dobbs
    Participant

What sad news, Ron will indeed be greatly missed, my condolences to his family.

Steve Bosley
    Participant

Such sad news.

I only met him a couple of times, but when I did he was so generous with his time and supportive of my daft ideas. 

He will be greatly missed by all who knew him in the world of astronomy.

RIP Ron

Nick James
    Participant

I first met Ron not long after he became a TV star for his early recovery, with Alan Young, of 1P/Halley and have always marvelled at the quality of his work. He was very innovative and came up with loads of excellent ideas including is own cold camera and comet offset guiding attachment. There is a pretty good summary of Ron and his work along with a photo of Ron with his home-built 16-inch here:

http://mstecker.com/pages/apparbour.htm

His SNe discovery record is testament to his skill and dedication. Ron always regretted replacing that telescope with an “inferior” commercial instrument and mount.

I will miss our regular email exchanges and my annual meeting with Ron and Pat after Winchester when I would discover what new equipment Ron was testing, usually in the living room. Pat was very tolerant.

Another of the BAA astronomy greats gone. Deepest condolences to Pat.

Martin Mobberley
    Participant

This is indeed sad and shocking news. Without a doubt one of the biggest & most pioneering BAA characters of the past half century. I remember an enjoyable visit to Ron’s observatory in 2004, along with Nick James, Ron Johnson, Maurice Gavin and Glyn Marsh. Horrible to realise that Ron A., Maurice and Glyn have all now departed. Some years ago James Fraser kindly sent me a pristine digital copy of Ron’s 1985 Sky at Night appearance. The link is below, but it does need the volume turning up to the max as Ron was quietly spoken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87J5FvvtHvE&t=1s

Martin

Gary Poyner
    Participant

I first met Ron at the Winchester weekend of 1978. I was in awe of his ‘astro-photography’, and can still remember those stunning photo’s of M42 which he used to display in the reception area of King Alfreds College. He turned up to a few VS meetings over the years, along with those held by the Deep Sky Section. It was always a pleasure to see him again and have a chat. His search for perfection in his telescopes was always a source of amusement to me (and others I have to say), and I would often ask him what telescope he had taken apart since we last met. Each year that he attened Winchester, he would invite me to break my journey home to Birmingham to visit him and see his observatory set-up. An offer I never did take up, and one which I truly regret now. My thoughts are with Pat at this sad time.

Gary

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Gary Poyner.

Following on from the previous post, I did take up Ron’s invitation to visit him at his home on the last afternoon of the 1983 Winchester weekend, and was about to attach my photo of him posing with his Observatory dome to this post when I realised that there was apparently no way to attach it. At the time Ron was doing good planetary photos using the Kodak TP2415 film which was the best way of securing quality results back then. A great observer, a true discoverer in the tradition of Alcock.

Stewart Moore
    Participant

That is really sad news. I first got to know Ron in the late eighties and then, when I was running the Deep Sky Section, I got to know him really well. He was a quietly spoken, gentle and very helpful person. A very talented and largely self-taught practical engineer, optician and innovator. One of the great BAA members of his generation. I always enjoyed our Saturday evening chats at Winchester and sometimes a visit to his house the following day to see what was new. It always amused me (and others) that the first thing Ron did with any new piece of kit was to totally dismantle it in his lounge to see how it could be improved – usually replacing anything plastic with metal. I also shared an interest in 1960s British motorcycles with him. A very sad day.

Grant Privett
    Participant

A hugely skilled astronomer, a discoverer of supernovae, a telescope maker and an innovator.

A nice man who was generous with his time, fun to be with and happy to help others out.

More importantly than all that, Pat’s husband.

I’m glad I was lucky enough to know him.

Alan Dowdell
    Participant

The arrangements for Ron’s funeral. It will be on the Monday 11th April at 1.45pm at the Wessex Vale Crematorium Bubb Lane West End SO23 2HL (masks to be warn)
    If you wish either go straight to the Crematorium or follow the hearse leaving from 29 Wrights Way South Wonston SO213HE leaving at 12.30pm.
    Everyone is welcome to refreshments after the service at the The Southampton Arms Mooregreen Road West End SO302HG (0.6 m from Crematorium)
    Donations in Ron’s memory to
    https://ronaldarbour.muchloved.com/

Alan Thomas
    Participant

I didn’t know Ron but he was kind enough to ‘like’ one or two of my images. An honour indeed.
    The video of his appeareance on the Sky at Night with Patrick is fascinating. How on earth did he manage to move that telescope from one end of his garden and back again? Clearly he was one of the greats of amateur astronomy.

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant

i never met Ron, as far as I recall, but he did prompt me to submit my image of the globular clusters around M81 as a candidate for a picture of the week. The submission was successful. Thanks Ron!

Alan Dowdell
    Participant

Update re Ron’s funeral on Monday 11th
    The post code for the crematorium is SO30 2HL.

Alan Dowdell
    Participant

Update re Ron’s funeral on Monday 11th
    The post code for the crematorium is SO30 2HL.

Nick James
    Participant

I was honoured to speak at Ron’s funeral on Monday. It was very well attended and many BAA friends were present. An obituary will appear in the Journal in due course but, for now, I attach my tribute.

Attachments:
    David Arditti
    Participant

Thanks for the tribute, Nick. Well-said.

Jeremy Shears
    Participant

A fine tribute Nick. Thank you. It was lovely to see Pat at the Winchester weekend on the Saturday afternoon.

Alan Thomas
    Participant

A very nice tribute indeed.

Dr Paul Leyland
    Participant
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.