Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Alan ThomasParticipantAh got it! I see where I’m going now. Thanks!
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantI am logged in.
Alan ThomasParticipantHi Bill
I can see the Contents list on the HS Publications page, but cannot open any content. Am I doing something wrong (or not doing something right!)?
Thanks
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantI notice when uploading a new image, it shows in the gallery but not on the original page used to provide the details.
Have the Martians arrived at last?
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantWell done Jeremy. The proposals are quite absurd and must be fought. Save Our Science!
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantSad news, losing a member of our tribe in this shocking fashion. Condolences to his family and friends.
Alan6 February 2026 at 5:40 pm in reply to: Musk’s SpaceX applies to launch 1m satellites into orbit #634533
Alan ThomasParticipantThe current equivalent of ‘Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you’ve got ’til its gone – They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot.’ Include me out! (Thanks to Joni Mitchell for writing the song.)
Alan ThomasParticipantThat is very sad news. I have enjoyed his wonderfully erudite talks, delivered in such an engaging style.
He will be much missed.
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantThank you very much, Dominic.
Alan ThomasParticipantHi Dominic
Any sign of the Palomar GCs being added to the catalogue?
Thanks
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantThank you very much, Dominic.
I cannot really claim much credit for obtaining these images: I used the OU’s robotic telescopes at Tenerife, and they do most of the work for me.
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantHello Gordon
As an ageing amateur astronomer, I found myself in a situation similar to yours. I invested in a Unistellar eQuinox which I have found great for deep sky observing. Have a look at my member page. I also wrote an article about my experiences, which you should be able to find somewhere in the Equipment and Techniques section.
Best of luck.
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantMany congratulations Doc. Wilson! It’s a long road and you have reached your destination.
You can now expect to be asked by visiting tradespersons (as I once was) for assistance with treating assorted ailments!!
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantQuite spectacular!
Alan ThomasParticipantJust watched an excellent presentation on TCorBor by Brad Schaefer, a webinar for the Astronomical League of the Philippines. Should be on their YouTube channel before long if anyone would like to see it.
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantAlan
Dreadful weather here in Warrington for most of the year so far, so you are definitely not alone. I have compensated by making more use of robotic telescopes, specifically the COAST (COmpletely Autonomous Survey Telescope) at the Observatorio del Teide, Tenerife. At least this has enabled me to keep making observations,
even though my own instruments are gathering dust and cobwebs.I would like to relocate to Arizona, but I don’t think the family would appreciate it. So I await better weather with a stiff upper lip!
Don’t let the clouds grind you down.
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantAndy. After a couple of years as a Unistellar user (other makes are available), I can highly recommend it.
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantIt does seem desirable to recruit more young members to the BAA. Might it be possible to:
1. Establish a prize or set of prizes for specific younger age groups, asking local societies to nominate potential recipients. Something like ‘Young Astronomer of the Year’ or whatever.
2. Is the BAA competing with the SPA for younger members? Might a merger of the two organisations be beneficial?
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantI watched the talks on YouTube the following day. All interesting. Thanks to the presenters for their efforts. Highly recommended!
Alan
Alan ThomasParticipantNice article, Jeremy. Thanks.
Alan -
AuthorPosts
